Monday, December 10, 2007

Dec 10, 2007

NOVEMBER--- I've finished with my annual "Christmas Letter" so to be efficient I'll add the last portion of it here starting in November. The big news was that I replaced a belt and hose for my 40 yr old Electrolux vacuum cleaner – the wedding present from my parents that still lives on and on. I had a delicious Thanksgiving dinner, shared with friends Harriett & Bob at their neighbors; Harriet and I later went on a “girls shopping day” at Ala Moana Mall with dinner at Neiman Marcus Dept Store (who knew they had a restaurant overlooking the ocean?!). I visited Karin & John, family of my Army friend Julia, who have recently moved into my neighborhood in Hawaii Kai, from California. As the days roll on I continue to got to the 24hr Fitness Center nearly daily, and have retained a personal trainer for 5 sessions. Of course my right knee and left thumb immediately were “injured” – I guess the more you try to keep fit, the more chances you have for regretting the decision! Anyway, I won’t give up! I returned one afternoon to Honolulu Hale to work televising the City Council meetings, and had a chance to see the beautiful Christmas trees set up in the foyer.

DECEMBER--- started with the Genealogy Society’s Christmas party at Hickam Air Base’s Officer’s Club. Then at the Adventurers’ Club Christmas meeting at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, we watched a fantastic adventure of crossing the Northwest Passage on a Russian supply /ice breaker going very near the North Pole (but not spotting Santa). At the University of Hawaii (their football team will play in the new year’s day Sugar Bowl game– go Warriors!) I visited the East-West Center’s exhibit on Ankor Wat -- Imagine so timely an exhibit for me! Also I attended a free Adobe Photoshop seminar at UH and learned a few tricks for color management of digital photos. The annual meeting of the Order of Medical Military Merit was supposed to have Senator Daniel Inouye as speaker, but he canceled at the last minute because of vote at the Capitol in Washington DC. It was a wonderful program and dinner anyway, on the 66th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. The year will finish with a few more highlights, such as a musical at Manoa Theater called “Plaid Tidings.” I feel rushed to get packages wrapped and suitcases packed for my trip to Alisa’s in Arizona for three weeks at Christmas.

No comments: