Saturday, December 5, 2009

Genealogy Photobook

I have been busy with genealogy in spite of all the other activities.  I painstakingly completed a 55 page photobook based on a 1970 interview I did with my grandfather, Leonard Pearce.  I recorded it on a little reel-to-reel tape recorder back then, while waiting for Thanksgiving dinner.  Thank heavens I did that because listening to it now I have a wealth of information that I'd totally forgotten at the time of the interview.  I transcribed each word and printed it into the online book I created at www.shutterfly.com then added a variety of photos that I had on hand, and some from the internet, that illustrated what my grandfather was talking about.  I think it makes a terrific way to present the story of my grandfather's life.

   Then I just finished a 100-page photobook using my photos from my recent trip to Burma.  I fixed up about 439 photos to squeeze in the maximum size book I could create at Shutterfly.  It is a great relief to finish this, the last of three gift-certificate books that my daughter gave me two years ago for Christmas.  The gift cards expire Dec 18th, 2009 so I was in a hurry to complete them all.  The first one I finished just before Thanksgiving in 2008 and it was a photobook on my trip to Mongolia.

I intend to create, in the future, photobooks about the life stories of my parents and most recent ancestors.  It's a big challenge, but I think it is a project from the heart and will last, even if my CDs and digital images pass into technological oblivion.


9 comments:

Karen said...

Cool....I would love to see those books someday!

Annette B. said...

This is really a great idea. I have been wondering how to put all of the stories and photos I have inherited together so that they will make sense to future generations of my family. This is the perfect answer to that question.

Lisa Louise Cooke said...

Donna, your photo book is marvelous! Thanks so much for sharing and inspiring us.

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

I did a Mother's Day book for my mom and sister last year, and showed all the women in the family tree. They loved it! I'll try to do a Father's Day version next year for the guys...

Donna Hague Wendt said...

Thanks for the mention on you blog, Apple. And to Heather, I think that's a great idea to have one book on the maternal line. I experimented and found I could "share" my pedigree chart from Family Tree Maker 2010 using "export" as I remember, to a jpeg, (memory is weak here) but it worked really well and I put it into the photo book at the end, along with images of the various census pages my grandfather was in. So many possibilities. I used shutterfly.com because my daughter gave me gift certificates for three photobooks she got through Target. I do like it because it seems to have lots of flexibility when arranging the photos, but still limitations. I'd love to try other companies that allow lots of variations with photo templates plus text spaces included in various formats. The 20 page Shutterfly book is $26-$29 and sometimes you can get free shipping or other discounts. I have a couple "My Canvas" books in the works on Ancestry.com, but they are more chart intensive at the moment. But no reason why I can't add lots more photos and text. Thanks cousin Karen, and Annette for the comments. And a nice surprise to find a comment by the famous "Genealogy Gems" podcaster, Lisa Lousie Cooke ... I don't miss one of her great podcasts which I download from itunes (or you can hear them at her website... I think it's www.genealogygems.tv

Anonymous said...

This blog is great! Thanks for your hard work on it.

Liz said...

Wow, great idea. Will have to try this w/tapes my Dad has made me answering my question lists (couldn't get him to write me, but the asking him to talk into a tape recorder--he's 1500 miles away & more chatty than a writer--worked). I sequenced questions around the oldest relatives he might remember and then major events in his life.

Kathy said...

I love this! I have down a couple of smaller photo books and do family picture calendars but your books are impressive!

Lori H said...

Wonderful! I love Shutterfly books, but I have never thought to put together such a comprehensive history! You did a beautiful job!